Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fencing

A few weeks ago, my daughter invited me to visit the Double D Bar Ranch, a haven for unwanted and abused farm animals in Manorville, about 20 minutes from my home where a friend of hers volunteers. With my grandson in tow, we wandered the grounds marveling at the variety of creatures harbored there: horses, goats, peacocks, pigs, turkeys, deer, a llama and for some reason, roosters galore.
While the array of animals presented a feast for the eyes, they were all sequestered behind bars or wire mesh blocking a clear view. Peering through my viewfinder, I was disappointed for a few moments until I realized that I could incorporate the fencing into the image. Once I made that decision, I photographed freely playing with the element originally perceived as an obstacle.
As we wound our way through the farm, we finally came upon three bulls. Choosing one, I zoomed in framing his features and fluffy ears between the bars. When I got home and scanned the images, I was pleased to discover that I had captured an interesting new collection of images that I now call fauna and that can be viewed on my online gallery.


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting to me. I teach photography at camp (a word used very loosely when applied to 6 year olds), and their favorite subject is always the farm animals. They don't yet have the ability to see the fence -- they only see the animals. So after 3 summers of looking at mostly horrible farm animal photos it was refreshing for me to see photos where the fencing actually worked!

    ReplyDelete