Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rain

Generally, there's a misconception about photographing in the rain. That being, why bother?
A few weekends ago, I was on the Upper West Side of Manhattan to see a play, Hindsight by Simon Van Booy, a friend of mine from graduate school. Although it was gray and gloomy outside and I knew we'd be indoors for most of the time, I carried my camera with me. 
After the performance, we headed south walking between the raindrops along Broadway and passing Fairway where I used to buy groceries years before when I lived in the neighborhood right after graduating from college.
For old-time sake, I raised my camera and captured this scene just as a taxi zoomed by. Besides its personal nostalgia, I love how the yellow and orange complements the blue awning---and how the cloudy sky works as a giant diffuser balancing the light and making the colors pop so naturally...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meryl, as a landscaper I can attest that many of the best photos of gardens, flowers, insects, nature in general, are taken just after a rain. Everything is lush and textured, the water drops form little jewels that cling in unexpected places, and there is no harsh sunlight to wash everything out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's so beautiful both during and just after the rain...and best time to plant!

    ReplyDelete