Thursday, February 9, 2012

Savannah

After more than two weeks on the road, I've returned with about 200 images to edit for my Phantoms series. But before I get down to work, I'm posting this image of the Spanish moss that hangs over Savannah like a veil of protection preserving its history and its unrelenting charm.
Despite the trendy shops and internet cafes scattered about, I was enchanted by the gothic architecture, welcoming verandas, and the city's 22 squares arranged in a simple grid. And it didn't take long before Phantoms began to appear; I soon learned that the city is indeed haunted by thousands buried in mass graves due to two devasting fires in 1796 and 1820 and a yellow fever epidemic around the same time.
Ironically, this image was taken on a bike ride in Bonaventure Cemetery. Built on a plantation just outside the city, it's known as one of the most beautifully haunting in the county.

4 comments:

  1. beautiful/interesting travel post (and I am fascinated by spanish moss.) I did not know that about Savannah..."learned that the city is indeed haunted by thousands buried in mass graves due to two devasting fires in 1796 and 1820 and a yellow fever epidemic around the same time." (!)- Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meryl,
      we went to New Orleans this past year as well and I loved it. Can't wait to see the work that comes out of it.
      gail miller
      ps see you soon

      Delete
  2. Hi Meryl,
    is there way you can send a picture of you along with "Learning to See", would love to "pin" you on Pinterest. Or one of your favorite photos along with your name.
    Great work! Hope all is well. Susan

    ReplyDelete