Friday, May 20, 2011

Fog

After almost a week of rain, it finally stopped today and the sun came out for a while around noon. By the time I stepped out, however, the weather had already changed---not unusual by the sea here on the East End.
As I walked down the block toward the bay, I felt the moisture in the air and saw that the fog had started to descend. "Wonderful," I thought, "it would be nice to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, but fog is much more interesting."
Then, I started to wonder why. Is it the mystery it evokes? The blur in the distance? A sense of wonder?
Sure, it's all those things. But looking at this image, I realized that what fog does best is bring our attention to what's right in front of us since there's not much more to distract us.
Here, mounds of sea grass stretch into the water like fingers testing the temperature. I had never noticed that before...

No comments:

Post a Comment