Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oasis

Between storms I had the opportunity to take a brisk walk with my dog in the sunshine yesterday around noon. Instead of circling the block as usual, I headed toward the tiny marina at the end of my block where the town launch is located--a busy place during the summer but quite desolate during the winter.
This time of year I'm always surprised to see islands of ice floating in Shinnecock Bay in lieu of cabin cruisers, sailboats, and jet-skis. But this time I was drawn to this group of pilings standing at attention, some cushioned by pools of water.
Its an oasis, I thought, just like this place where I can always find something new to behold in the sky, in the water, or on the dock.

4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely spot! What a great way to see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like they tore down the old pier, but a new one is growing back from the roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These piles are everywhere here for boat mooring;
    but your idea is much more appealing...

    ReplyDelete