Monday, February 1, 2010

Wintertime Shooting

Most of us who love to wander around taking photographs dread the winter. This year with the frigid temperatures here on the East End of Long Island, it's been especially challenging to push myself out the door and brave the elements. Although I can be adventurous, I'm not one of those die-hards who rushes out into a storm to capture the monstrous sky and torrent of snow and ice. I've learned that if I wait until after the storm when the sun comes out, there is much beauty to be found.
Here's an image I took with my Canon EOS Rebel XSI near Roger's Beach in Westhampton after the late December storm that dumped two feet of snow on the area. Up until recently, I resisted going digital and shot exclusively on film using a medium format camera. I must admit that the lighter, more compact camera made it easier to maneuver, performed beautifully and even withstood the impact when I slipped on the ice.

6 comments:

  1. Mazel Tov!
    The site looks great and the photo is beautiful.
    Good going. You're amazing.
    Love,
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful image and first posting, Meryl. I shall add you to my Google Reader RSS feed and watch for more inspiration form my uber-talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go, Meryl!

    glad to see you're inviting new folks to see your beautiful work

    best,
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meryl,
    It looks great! Love the first photo you picked and winter theme. Now you're completely digital. (Oops, I think one of your pixels is showing.)
    xoxo
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much potential here. Hope you can help some of us with less than 20-20 vision to see better in the process as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to use an inexpensive digital camera when its really stormy ... just in case I ruin the camera.

    ReplyDelete