Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Smug

Before happening upon the Valentine in Flushing last week, there was another surprise, quite bizarre, that shocked my senses. Turning the corner off Main Street, I spotted the back of an open delivery truck filled with layers of pink.
"Ahhh, there's something I might be able to post for Valentine's Day," I thought moving closer, lifting my camera, adjusting the aperture to F8 to give me enough depth of field, yet not too much in order to emphasis the ripples in the foreground.
As the image came into focus, I realized it wasn't bolts of fabric or some such thing as I suspected, but layers of flesh---lifeless pigs piled one on top of another. My stomach churned breaking down the plateful of pork dumplings I had just ingested.
Then, men in white aprons appeared and started to unload them one at a time. As one butcher crossed the street with a hog draped over his shoulder, I recovered quickly enough to frame him in my viewfinder and press the shutter.
"Did you get it?" he asked smugly.

1 comment: