Friday, May 11, 2012

Irony

On the heels of my quintessential cherry tree image, I thought this would be an interesting follow-up. Each spring I love the sight of petals dropped like confetti on lawns and roadways; and each spring I try to find a way to photograph these carpets of color. A few weeks ago, I made an attempt with the addition of my Shadow.
Last weekend on my way to my daughter's house, I noticed this swath of pink beside the road and pulled over. Shooting from above, they appeared like unremarkable specks with no real perspective. However when I sunk down to my heels, I found something more compelling.
A first glance it was just a rusty drain; but the more I looked the more I liked the irony it presented. Here were these beautiful bits of nature adorning the sewer made by man that would eventually suck them in.
It's these surprises, these counterpoints that can make an image more meaningful. For a more lyrical rendition of my thoughts regarding this image checkout my other blog, Recovery Thru My Lens.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like the bubble gum factory exploded. Or a cherry snowstorm. F.Y.I. I made cherry wine for 25 years, lots of squishin' but worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, you have such a fun imagination...and cherry wine, I've never heard of that...must be sweet :)

      Delete
  3. Not sweet, made from sour pie cherries and sugar. It was dry, slightly tart, sort of like chianti but more like rot-gut. If someone didn't enjoy drinking it, they could use it to remove rust or as drain cleaner. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete