Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Passerby


Here's another image from my Phantoms series on view now at Art Sites, 651 W. Main Street in Riverhead. I hope those of you not too far away can make it to the opening reception this Saturday evening, July 9th from 5 to 7 pm.
This phantom was taken in Miami on the strip in South Beach as I ate my breakfast and watched people pass by. And here's my artist statement which came out more like a poem about what inspired the series:
As I move through life, human beings seem to be disintegrating. I see a face here, hear a voice there, but then they're gone. Blurred, garbled, disjointed... they're all around me. Sometimes I see them, smell them, touch them, sometimes not. They walk by, sometimes we connect for a few moments, sometimes not. They are in my heart, my mind, but mostly on my phone and my computer. They pass by in cars, in the mall, in the park, on the street, sometimes not. They are living, breathing, moving past me, sometimes not. Perhaps they are phantoms, perhaps not.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very provocative artists statement, Meryl. I hope you will post all the images from your show so those of us who are 3,000 miles away can experience the beauty of your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of the start of "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman as per your phantom images:

    http://www.doverpublications.com/sampler/0722/images/456765-098.jpg

    ReplyDelete