Thursday, September 30, 2010

Off-Season

On the last day of September, this seems like the image to post. Most of the second homeowners have returned to the city or to suburbia. However, they've left their lounge chairs to us natives along with permission to roam free with our dogs. And while it's my favorite month here on the East End, it also flies by the fastest.
Each year at the end of the summer, therefore, I tell myself that I'm going to make an extra effort to savor September: walk on the beach everyday, swim in the warm water, take the time to sprawl out on the sand with a novel; ignore the fact that I might be the only soul sitting there under the sun.
Well I'm here to report that Copper and I did pretty well this year, as evidenced by the images posted in the last few weeks. While I've certainly dug deeper into work, spent more hours in front of this screen, and broken out my boots a few times, I've still been polishing my toenails and wearing sandals most of the time.
And look at Copper, he's trying to figure out where all the people went and why they left their furniture behind and in his way...

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to visit you. This past weekend a friend showed me The Southhampton Review, especially because she thought your photographs were superb. I liked your photos but enjoyed even more your commentaries - especially you comment about "everyday alienation" (sic). I live in NYCity and have a shack in Flanders. I'm out there every Saturday and Sunday bicycling (my Prozac).

    ReplyDelete